Are you shocked by your new property tax values?
To the central appraisal district, you are a "mark", just some chump to be duped out of as much money as they can get from you.
The CAD (central appraisal district) expects you to get your new tax values and do nothing about it. The average person is just super lazy and doesn't do anything about it.
At Kyle Rovinsky Real Estate Services, we URGE YOU to protest your tax values. Here are some helpful tips to get you on track for a successful protest.
1. the CAD can only raise your taxes by 10% per year (or by 30% over a three year aggragate). If your tax value has gone up over 10% from last year, you have an IMMEDIATE grievance with the CAD.
2. Schedule an appraisal hearing. In these COVID times, you can make the protest virtual or in person.
3. Take plenty of photos. Tax values are based on the condition of your home. Take pictures of the areas of your home that are the most embarrassing. Do you have a crumbling driveway? Do you have bad cracks in your walls (inside or outside)? How about that one bathroom that is directly from the 1970s? Take photos of all those depreciated items and bring them to your hearing. The worse the perceived condition of your home, the lower the value will be.
4. Lessen your curb appeal. Again, the worse your house looks from the outside, the lower your property value will be. Do you have landscaping issues since the big freeze? Take photos of your dead shrubs and present them to the CAD.
5. If you are in the middle of repairing your home in the aftermath of the big freeze, present those photos too.
6. Cherry-pick the lowest property sales in your area. Property values are based on the sales from Jan 1 to Dec 31 2020. They can not use sales from the recent surge in the market. I will be happy to provide you with comp sales that will help your argument.
THese tips are helpful, but not a guarantee. If you want to bring out the big guns, contact property tax profesional Evan Fetter at https://lowermytexaspropertytaxes.com/